Forms
Audrey
2006-11-14 17:11:46 UTC
I'm fairly new to web design and was encouraged by a friend (who is a web
designer) to have a form on the contact page of my websites. I have all the
coolmap components and I tried using their form validator and couldn't
figure it out. So I decided to just try the NOF 9.0 form handler. But when
I publish it I get an Error Code 800 when I try to use it. I'm looking at
the Forms Button Properties, but I can't figure out what I'm suppose to be
putting in the Form General Properties tab. I don't know what PHP and ASP
are. They have SMTP server, From, To, Subject, Success URL, CSV File Path,
and File Upload Folder. I don't know what I'm suppose to be putting in
these fields. NOF help, doesn't help explain this. When I tried searching
for help, I got information about typing the URL to the script on a server.
What's a script? I feel like NOF makes it very hard to understand how to
submit a form on website. It's like trying to understand a foreign
language.

My friend told me she uses bitmotion for all her customers, but when I
checked, it costs $29.95 a year to subscribe for one domain name. It seems
like it's easy to use and does everything I want, but I hate the idea of
paying that cost every year. The first site I need it for is for a ministry
that may not afford it. I'm trying to find something that either I have
(NOF or Coolmaps) or something I can purchase one time. I NEED SOMETHING
EASY TO USE!

One other thing is I couldn't figure out with NOF is how people submitting
the form page can be directed to a page that thanks them for submitting and
then redirects them back to the home page.

I'm open to hear suggestions from what people have experienced with forms
and what they use.

Thanks,
Audrey
www.riverdancecompany.com
Nancy O
2006-11-14 19:08:17 UTC
Hi Audrey,

Take a look at this tutorial as it might be all you need for now.
http://alt-web.com/Tutorials/alt-web_contact.html

If your server supports PHP (a server side scripting language), definitely
check this out.
This formmailer php script from db masters is free (or $20 to take their
name off it), it works well for all users, even web based email users
(that's important these days). It also greatly reduces the amount of Spam
Mail you're likely to get. And Michael Evangelista's tutorial is easy to
follow and takes you through all the steps to set it up in a few minutes.

http://www.suwebs.com/html/formmailer.html

Good luck with your new project.
--Nancy
www.riverdancecompany.com